EAST MEETS WEST – WEST MEETS EAST PROGRAM GUIDELINES
The “Theatre of the XXI century, East meets West – West meets East” implemented in the period from 1 October 2011 to 30 May 2013,
Project co-financed by the European Union within the Małopolska Regional Operational Programme 2007-2013. Measure 8.2 Building Małopolska position in European networks.
The implementation of the Project shall be in accordance with the Agreement MRPO.08.02.00-12-446/10.00-XVI/62FE/11
I. PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT
were no significant changes that resulted in the European theater of the last decade, and investigate the relationship of these changes to the tradition of theater of the twentieth century. Assessment of their significance for the current condition of the theater and for its future. Comparison of the areas of theater practices of Eastern and Western Europe. The answer to the question of the Polish position on the theatrical map of Europe.
The specific objectives of the project:
- Identify and evaluate changes in the modern practice of performing under the influence of differences in the understanding and perception of reality (eg the transition from model-linearno for simultaneous and successive wieloperspektywicznego), and because of the many recent developments that determine the specificity of contemporary theater, including : the abandonment of traditional forms of theater work (career post-drama and performance art), the expansion of political theater, new forms of engaging the viewer, removing boundaries between high art and popular, the interference of the media and technological factors, the emergence of new works of theater styles, and the whole complex civilizational and cultural change inherent in the phase of post-modern and post-postmodern.
- The valuation of these changes in the context of twentieth-century theatrical tradition and attempt to predict their impact on the future of theater.
- The answer to the question whether these changes in the same way on both of these areas (Eastern and Western Europe), whether it is here to see some differences due to different cultural contexts, distinct traditions of theater, or other changes the dynamics of historical, social, civil and political . So – whether at the present time there are separate languages / “worlds” theater of the East and West Europe, or – even in the sphere of the theater – we are in the “global village” in which all differences and the different aesthetic and cultural codes have been long since obliterated. Determining the place of the complex in this complex transformation, Polish theater – is the area of transfer and revalorization, or some kind of “diaspora”, resistant to external influences.
- Determine whether in the two geographical and cultural areas, as well as in Poland, there are similar lines in the area of the theater (eg, traditional and modern theater, theater, politically involved and politically neutral, the theater of “young” and theater “old” theater artistic and popular, etc.).
- Multilateral and multidirectional exchange experiences and establish cooperation.
The content of the project was divided into three thematic groups:
- Text in the twenty-first century theater
- Acting XXI century
- The space stage of contemporary theater
II. SPECIFIC ISSUES
1 Text in the twenty-first century theater
Subject Key: Text, event and responsibility.
- Current status of the dramatic text in theater (formal evolution: the tragedy – postdramat – performances, struggles and co forms?);
- the impact of formal and structural changes in the text of the drama (the consequences of the disintegration of the traditional dramatic structure (epizacji and dyskursywizacji drama, breaking down the traditional dramatic structure, etc.);
- the impact of the so-called. aesthetic performativity of the text stage (text or text vs. event. event? Text to score in the theatrical event, the latest phenomenon of “disappearing text”, the function of text to the aleatory, etc.);
- the importance of techniques “recycling” and “re-writingu” for contemporary drama;
- formal and structural transformations of the latest drama to the horizon of expectations of the audience (revival of “classic” of text and theatrical piece bien faite as a counterweight to the destruction of traditional forms of drama – Psychosocial and cultural causes of this phenomenon);
- drama , postdramat, perfomans and communication with the audience (the function of text and theatrical events in the relationship with the audience, the production strategies of community theater artists and audiences, conflict styles of delivery, new ways of engaging the viewer, text interactive theater – pros and cons of this trend, etc.) < br /> – The role of text and theatrical events in the recent political theater;
- the political theater, a form of drama (the evolution of the political strategy: text allusive, engaged and engaging);
- the issue of responsibility in the modern theater (which means – today – the responsibility of media and forms of theatrical text?).
2 Acting twenty-first century.
Subject Key: Metabolic functions of the actor to the expansion of political theater and performance art
- Actor recent times against tradition – an attempt to define the specificity of the phenomenon of acting “traditional” and “modern” (a controversial issue merits of this division);
- the ratio of the actor – the audience in the past and today: the distance the stage and the “culture of exposing” the problem of the limits of obscenity and mash them;
- performance’ui performativity impact on acting techniques (transition from “acting” to “not-acting”), new forms of theater operations;
- body and sex of the actor as a scenic area of the experiment;
- political and ethical aspects of the transformation of actors and audience mobilization strategy;
- the career performances of “stand up” – the socio-cultural causes of this phenomenon;
- the training of the actor towards the transformation of today’s theater;
- syncretism of the word theater techniques as a challenge for the modern actor;
- a comparison of how actor training in art schools in Eastern Europe and Western Europe.
third stage of contemporary theater space
key topic: the impact of multimedia technology in the practice stage in the theater of the XXI century
- the scene in the newest theater – the principle of “fourth wall” and its liquidation;
- scene of Conventional and annexation of space pozascenicznych / pozateatralnych contemporary theatrical spectacle;
- a traditional set design to the current experimental set designs (minimalism, “empty stage”, “theater lights”, “cinema theater”, “theater specific” , the space of “art” and “life”, etc);
- new media in theater – as an inspiration and as an integral part in the spectacle of contemporary multimedia theater show – its significance and cause of the cultural and civilization;
- Holographic techniques
- new technologies in the practice stage and their influence on the perception of the viewer;
- theater as a synthesis of the arts – past and present;
- theater performance as a media event;
- contemporary theater total – its traditions, the most recent changes and place in today’s culture.
III. THEATRES implementing the project
The leader is the Theater Project. exams in Krakow, which, together with partners – nine theaters of Eastern and Western Europe is implementing the project.
1 Piccolo Teatro di Milano (Milan, Italy)
2 La Rose de Ventes (Villaneuve d’Ascq, Codex, France)
3 Svandovo Divadlo (Prague, Czech Republic)
4 Sovremennik Theater of Moscow (Moscow, Russia)
5th Voskresinnia Lviv Academic Theater (Lviv, Ukraine)
6th National Theatre . Vakhtangov (Moscow, Russia)
7th Kijowskij Young Academic Theater (Kiev, Ukraine)
8th National Young Theatre of Lithuania (Vilnius, Lithuania)
9th Volksbühne (Berlin, Germany) < br />
IV. forms of activity
The project provides for the following kinds of activities:
1 Conferences (for all three subjects);
2 Workshop (associated with two topics: “The text in the theater of the XXI century”, “actor in the theater of the XXI century”, two workshops on specific issues of each topic);
3 study trips (multi-day visit to the theater partner for two these topics: “The text in the theater twenty-first century ‘,’ Acting twenty-first century”);
4th edition book publication, summarizing the results of conferences, workshops and trips to theaters partnerships.
Calendar of Events and work.
1 TEXT OF THE THEATRE THE XXI CENTURY
1-3 December 2011 Workshop dramatic
5-7 December 2011 Workshop dramatic
12 – December 14, 2011 Conference “text in the theater of the XXI century” in the Theatre. Słowacki Krakow
February-April 2012 study classes in selected theaters
second actor in the theater XXI CENTURY
14 -19 May 2012 Workshop Acting on Stage “Thumbnail”
17-19 May 2012 Workshop Acting on Stage “Thumbnail”
29-31 May 2012 Conference “XXI century the art of acting” in the foyer. Theatre them. exams in Krakow
February-April 2012 study classes in selected theaters.
third stage space of contemporary theater
13-15 December 2012 Conference on “Space Stage of contemporary theater “in the foyer of the Theatre. exams in Krakow.
February – April 2013 Summary of the Project, which is testimony to the book edition of the work.
Project Leader – Theater. exams in Krakow
pl. St. Spirit 1, 31-023 Kraków
General and Artistic Director Christopher Orzechowski
Project Manager Anna Burzyńska
Project Coordinator Chris Dubiel
Tel. 12 4244516 Fax 12 4244506